At Canberra Podiatry we treat every issue that is associated with your lower limb health, but when people ask us what we treat more than any other issue, the answer is Corns and Calluses. Since 1997 we’ve helped provide relief to our Canberra patients for this common issue.
Corns and calluses cause pain, they are extremely uncomfortable and let’s be honest, they don’t look aesthetically pleasing either. To prevent them, we need to work out what the underlying issue is. Just as every patient is different, and every foot is different, the cause of corns and calluses is different in each case too.
Common causes of corns and calluses are;
- Your gait
- Foot deformity i.e. hammertoes/bunions
- Excessive friction/pressure when walking
- Poor fitting footwear
At Canberra Podiatry, once we’ve worked out the cause we can then tailor a plan to get you upwardly mobile again, pain-free.
Canberra Podiatry Tips:
- Wearing the right style, fit and size shoes for your foot type. This reduces pressure and friction on the joints when walking. Men and women desire fashionable shoes and want/need to wear these types of shoes, Wedding’s, job interviews and or Dinner Dates spring to mind – usually these are your most expensive/nicest pair, and a lot of times the most painful because they are not worn very often. Just remember you will need to give your feet more TLC after wearing these shoes, better still bring them with you to Canberra Podiatry and we’ll have our orthotist look them over to make sure they are performing as they should.
- Use a pumice or foot file at least twice a week, before you have a bath is ideal. This removes the dead skin and prevents the build-up, meaning your feet will provide less friction when in shoes.
- Your Nanna was right, moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. This nourishes the skin and prevents corns and calluses. If you are looking to go the extra mile, apply a cuticle and nail oil to brighten and moisturise the nail beds too, better still book in with us and we’ll give your feet the works.
- Do not use corn plasters nor metal instruments on your feet as these are too abrasive and you will likely cut yourself causing a painful wound. It takes us, podiatrists, years to learn how to use one effective and competently, so best avoid this at all costs!
If you’re in Canberra and suffering from Corns and Calluses, don’t suffer any longer. Call Canberra Podiatry today on 6281 1200 for an appointment, we’ve been looking after Canberra’s foot health since 1997.